|Toya Kinomoto as he appears in Cardcaptor Sakura.|
|Series:|| Cardcaptor Sakura |
|English Name:||Tori Avalon|
|Age:|| Cardcaptor Sakura Manga: 16 - (beginning).
Cardcaptor Sakura - (series one): 16.
(series two and three): 17.
Cardcaptor Sakura the movie 2: The Sealed Card: 18.
End of Cardcaptor Sakura Manga: 18.
Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card Arc: 18-19.
Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle (series): 21/22.
|Other names:||Onii-chan -(Sakura)|
|Relations:|| Sakura Kinomoto - (sister)|
Fujitaka Kinomoto - (Father)
|Residence:|| Tomoeda, Japan (Cardcaptor Sakura) |
Clow Country (Tsubasa Chronicle)
|First Appearance:|| Cardcaptor Sakura Manga: Chapter 1|
Cardcaptor Sakura Episode 1: Sakura and the Mysterious Magic Book
|Last appearance:||Anime: Cardcaptor Sakura the Movie 2 The Sealed Card|
|English voice actor:|| Tony Sampson - (Cardcaptors)|
Kirk Thornton - (The Sealed Card)
|Japanese voice actor:|| Tomokazu Seki|
Shinichiro Miki - (Tsubasa Chronicle)
|Korean voice actor:||None|
Tōya Kinomoto (木之本 桃矢, Kinomoto Tōya) is a fictional character in CLAMP's anime and manga series, Cardcaptor Sakura. He is known as Tori Avalon in the English adaption Cardcaptors.
He makes another appearance in another series, Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle and he is known as Tōya, although his name has been romanized as "Touya". He is voiced by Tomokazu Seki in Cardcaptor Sakura and by Shinichirō Miki in Tsubasa Chronicle. In Cardcaptors, he is voiced by Tony Sampson, and by Kirk Thornton in the 2nd Movie. He is voiced by Eric Vale in Tsubasa Chronicle.
Toya is a very tall, well-built, and a strikingly handsome young man with tanned skin with dark brown hair parted on the left side, and dark brown eyes. He is usually seen in Seijou High School Uniform, but occasionally he's seen in casual-clothes.
In TRC, Touya is usually seen in his royal attire, which has black and blue colors on it. When in combat, he is seen wielding a huge blade.
He is often working, and a running gag in the series involves Sakura and Yukito running into him while he is at work, which can happen virtually anywhere. It is later discovered that the reason for his many jobs is so that he can pay for college on his own. It is also implied that the reason for him bumping into Sakura all the time was not just by mere coincidence, but may sometimes have been deliberate. This is retained in TRC when the Tsubasa Group travels between worlds.
He holds the belief that as Sakura's older brother, he is the only person entitled to make fun of her, a belief that his best friend, Yukito, refers to as a "sister-complex". However, he is also protective and caring of Sakura, which leads him to dislike Syaoran Li when he finds Syaoran cornering Sakura in the schoolyard. Though Syaoran and Sakura eventually stopped fighting, Touya continues to dislike Syaoran when he becomes friends with Sakura, knowing that Syaoran will eventually "take" Sakura away from him. This also remained in Tsubasa as he teases Sakura about calling Syaoran a "brat" and the two argue. Touya being close friends with Yukito is also retained, but the close relationship they had in Cardcaptor Sakura was not included. Touya is almost never seen without Yukito, except for when he's at home with Sakura and sometimes Fujitaka. Only in Tsubasa are they not seen seperately.
Powers & AbilitiesEdit
Spiritual Awareness: Touya was born with some magical ability, allowing him to see ghosts and, according to Fujitaka, he inherited this trait from his mother, Nadeshiko, as he states that Nadeshiko had some magical power, whether this has anything to do with Clow Reed is unknown. But Touya could've also obtained this ability from Clow Reed himself, as he is a descendent of Clow, since Fujitaka is one-half of Clow-Reed's incarnation, though this is only known within the manga.
He is capable of not only sensing the presence of spirits like Sakura, but he can easily communicate with them and often tries to help lost spirits find their way to Heaven. Outside of helping spirits, his powers also give him a very keen sixth sense. This can be seen in many instances as he is shown to always know when Sakura is out capturing/converting Clow Cards. His heightened sixth sense is constantly demonstrated in other episodes, where it is revealed he has always known of Yukito’s and Nakuru’s existence as supernatural beings, his recognition of Eriol’s immense power, Sakura’s use of the Mirror Card, and possibly, most notably, his running gag of staring down Cerberos when he is in his Kero-chan form, leading Kero-chan to question his powers from very early on in the series.
In the lead-up to Episode 65 (or Chapter 37), Touya repeatedly tries telling Yukito to “realize it” as different parts of him start ‘disappearing’, only to be interrupted by the transfer student Akizuki Nakuru right before telling Yukito that he isn’t human. As Akizuki is Eriol’s equivalent of Yue, she tries to stop Touya from giving Yukito his power since she wants it for herself, despite the notable gap in magical power between Sakura and Eriol. In order to prevent both Yue and Yukito from disappearing, Touya eventually manages to send Akizuki away, giving him the chance to tell Yukito about Yue. Upon hearing this, Yukito changes into Yue, and meets Touya for the first time. It is in this episode that Touya directly states his knowledge of Sakura’s adventures, and only agrees to giving Yue his powers if he promises to protect Sakura in his place, but also to protect himself. While in the anime, this can be interpreted to be due to Touya and Yukito’s strong friendship, the manga more heavily implies it is because of their mutual romantic feelings towards one another. Sakura overhears the conversation between the two and is initially devastated for her brother, who, without powers, can no longer see their late mother, but is later comforted by Cerberos.
In the final battle, as he is still without his powers, he doesn't wake up immediately after Eriol's final spell has been broken, as Syaoran and Tomoyo do, even though the latter doesn't have any magical abilities, either. It's possible that Touya was still weakened after losing his magic.
- Fujitaka Kinomoto: Touya’s relationship with his father demonstrates both characters’ strong sense of responsibility, as they are both usually shown to be taking care of Sakura one way or another. Though he acts immature as an older brother in front of Sakura, Fujitaka recognises Touya’s maturity both as a son and as an older brother. In the instances where Fujitaka is not around to make breakfast for Sakura, it is Touya who prepares both her breakfast and her lunch for school, acting as a parental figure for her.
- Nadeshiko Kinomoto: In the flashbacks shown throughout the series and from her occasional appearances, the younger Touya is shown to be somewhat of a “Momma’s boy” prior to Nadeshiko’s death. This is supported by his ability to play the piano, solely as a keepsake to remember his mother as he is only shown to be able to play the song she had written and taught him when he was younger. In his memories of her, he seems to remember her as a very loving, wonderful, and caring mother.
- Sakura Kinomoto: Perhaps due to his love for his cheerful mother and the little sister who takes after her, Touya takes exceptional care of Sakura. Whenever Sakura speaks about her mother, she often assures the other person that she isn’t lonely because she has her father and her older brother. Though it is more obviously shown in the manga, it seems that following his mother’s death, Touya made it a point to try to fill in that gap so that Sakura wouldn’t feel lonely, knowing that Sakura wouldn’t be able to have the mother he did growing up. Although Touya constantly tries to hide how much he cares for Sakura by teasing her daily, his ‘sister-complex’ is often joked about throughout the series. It is only to Yukito that he exposes his true feelings, such as his dislike for Syaoran.
- Yukito Tsukishiro: It is shown that Touya and Yukito immediately became friends the day Yukito transferred. Between the anime and the manga, his relationship with Yukito Tsukishiro is clearly stated as he is Yukito’s ‘number one’ and Yukito is his ‘number one’. However, though the anime portrays the relationship between the two to be very powerful, it can also be seen as solely platonic, whereas the manga makes it much clearer that they both hold romantic feelings for one another.
- Ms. Mizuki: Another previous romantic partner is Ms. Mizuki, who on top of being Sakura’s math teacher, was also a student teacher for Touya when he was in 8th grade. Their relationship is seen by Sakura when she is swallowed by the tree at the Tsukimine shrine, where she observes as Ms. Mizuki breaks up with Touya, telling him that the next time they meet, they will both hold someone else in their hearts, but will be dear friends to one another. In the manga, Touya falls in love with Yukito while Ms. Mizuki falls in love with Eriol.
Tomoyo Daidouji: At the beginning of the manga, Tomoyo blushes every time she sees him, implying romantic feelings for him. However, it is later revealed in Chapter 7 that this is because his ears are identical to Sakura's ears, and her romantic feelings are actually towards Sakura.
Appearance in Other MediaEdit
Tsubasa: Reservoir ChronicleEditIn Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, Touya is not only Sakura's older brother, but is also the king of Clow Kingdom. The former king, Sakura and Touya's father is Clow Reed. However, it is later revealed that Touya and Sakura's true parents are Nadeshiko and Fujitaka, not Clow.
Like his Cardcaptor Sakura counterpart, he dislikes Syaoran Li (CCS) and refers to him as a brat. His reasons are similar; from the predictions of Yukito, the High priest of Clow, he knows that Sakura and Syaoran are meant to be together and their destinies are linked. Additionally, Touya had initially felt that Syaoran possessed a rather unsettling presence within him and confronted his father about it, though Touya later admits that the feeling went away as Syaoran opened up to Sakura.
Another incarnation of Touya appears with Yukito in the Hanshin Republic where he and Yukito are waiters at a local restaurant. In the anime, Tsubasa Chronicle, he appears again in Outo Country where he and Yukito are patrons in the cafe run by Syaoran and the others as well as in two filler episodes.
Touya is seen in Drop 5, and in the anime, episode 22; both times with Fujimoto on a mid-time job. In the manga, he is seen wearing a bunny costume (similar to the one he used in Cardcaptor Sakura the Movie 2: The Sealed Card and in Ushagi-san from Wish) in the green drugstore (originally from Legal Drug). In the anime, he is seen talking with Fujimoto in the dressing rooms of Piffle Plaza (a company that appeared on several of CLAMP's works, like Cardcaptor Sakura itself, but being more prominent in Suki Dakara Suki and Angelic Layer).
- Touya's "Kaiju" (monster) nickname for Sakura in Cardcaptor Sakura is reused in Tsubasa.
- Touya's running gag about his part-time jobs is retained in Tsubasa as he appears as a waiter in a restaurant where Syaoran and company eat in the Hanshin Republic.
- The first kanji of Touya's given name (桃) means Peach, and Peach Blossoms are one of his mother's two favorite flowers, the other being Cherry blossoms, or Sakura (桜).
- In Tsubasa, Touya also shows disdain for Syaoran as he does in Cardcaptor Sakura.
|Timeline of events|
|Media:||Chapters • Cardcaptors • Episodes (Clow Card Arc: 1 2 • Sakura Card Arc: 3) • Movies (1 • 2) • OVAs • Albums • Media|
|Theme Songs:||(Cardcaptor Sakura) Catch You Catch Me • Groovy! • Tobira wo Akete • Honey • Platinum • Fruits Candy • Tooi Kono Machi de • Ashita e no Melody • • (Cardcaptors) Theme Song|
|Locations:||Tomoeda • Hong Kong|
|Main Chatacters:||Sakura Kinomoto • Syaoran Li • Meiling Li • Tomoyo Daidouji • Cerberus • Yue • Clow Reed • Eriol Hiiragizawa • Yukito Tsukishiro|
|Other Characters:||Touya Kinomoto • Fujitaka Kinomoto • Nadeshiko Kinomoto • Sonomi Daidouji • Spinel Sun • Ruby Moon • Kaho Mizuki • Chiharu Mihara • Takashi Yamazaki • Rika Sasaki • Naoko Yanagisawa • Yoshiyuki Terada|